Thomas F. O'Neill


*******This Is An Award Winning Blog*******

Phone: (800) 272-6464

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thomasf.oneill.3

E-mail: introspective7@hotmail.com

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by Thomas F. O'Neill - All rights reserved. Commercial use or reproduction in any form is strictly prohibited without the author’s consent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Shenandoah, PA / Suzhou, China, Pennsylvania / Jiangsu, China, United States

I am currently working as a certified ESL teacher at a private school in Wuxi, China. I have also taught Primary School, Middle School, and High school in Suzhou, China. I am now currently a High school Teacher in Wuxi, in the Jiangsu province. I am also tutoring older students who are planning to travel to English-speaking countries. Some of my older students that I am tutoring are preparing to take their entrance exam for various Universities. I also volunteer for our school’s summer camp program. It is something I enjoy doing and at the same time the students learn a great deal about the western culture. I also worked at the SMIC summer camp in Shanghai in July of 2010 and 2011. During the last nine years I have been a volunteer teacher for the iCity charitable organization in Suzhou, China. I also have been doing a lot of volunteer work to promote our School.

Friday, April 30, 2021

Kindness is the greatest form of wisdom …… 🦅

By Thomas F O'Neill

This is a photo of my Paternal Grandfather he was extremely well respected in Girardville, PA but sadly he passed away in 1982. That being said, I’m going to tell you a story that is related to him and this event happened in 1995.

A State Trooper pulled me over that year for speeding in Maryland, he looked at my driver's license and asked, "Are you originally from Maryland?" I said, "no I'm from Shenandoah, Pennsylvania” He paused and said, "You don’t look Irish.”

“Well,” I said, “my mother is Italian.”

He, then responded, “You know, I knew a Thomas O'Neill from Girardville, Pennsylvania, we called him Red."

I said in a shocked voice, “that was my grandfather."

The trooper then walked back to his police car and turned off his emergency lights on his cruiser. He came back to my car and said, “your grandfather fixed my bike tires when I was a kid.”

He then went on to tell me about how when he was a teenager, he failed his driving test, and that my grandfather talked to the officer who administered the test. “The officer,” he said, “took me back out on the road and pointed out all the mistakes I made and allowed me to retake the driving test.”

With a smile on his face, he proceeded to say, "I asked your Grandfather,” trying to hold back from laughing, "well, I asked your grandfather,” he repeated, “why that officer went out of his way to see to it that I pass the driving exam,"  he continued on, "Your Grandfather said to me, I used to fix his bike tires when he was a kid." 

The Maryland State Trooper while handing me his card, “if there is anything I can do to help you,” he said, “just let me know. Not that I condone your driving but out of respect for Red O’Neill this is my way of passing his kindness forward” and he let me go with a warning.

That was one encounter with a State Trooper that I will remember to my dying day. I would love to tell my grandfather that story if he were alive today. I know he would have gotten a big laugh out of it, and he most certainly would, in an incredibly special way, have turned my story into a huge life lesson for me to learn from. Not to mention, he would have reminded me that “kindness is the greatest form of wisdom.”


Always with love from Suzhou, China

Thomas F O’Neill

U.S. voice mail: (800) 272-6464

China Cell: 011-86-13405757231

WeChat: Thomas_F_ONeill

Skype: thomas_f_oneill

Email: introspective7@hotmail.com

Blogspot: http://thomasfoneill.blogspot.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/thomasf.oneill.3/

 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home